Saturday 16 February 2008

Polling Days Are Here Again

The elections are coming. Parliament's been dissolved, politicians have started touring the country, and speculations and rumours are on the upswing.

Who am I voting for? That's a secret of course, as is my right, although those who know me would know which way my vote would be. It's fascinating, though, to see politicians, whom we'd never have seen otherwise, suddenly coming out of the woodwork, pleading for support.

My ideal government? The list is as below:

1) New faces. Enough with those who refuse to quit; make way for the younger generation to take their place in the administration. Although, saying that, I hope some certain new faces don't get fielded, 'cos boy are they annoying.

2) Old faces. Experienced people who were left out of the last election due to certain other people's agendas. These experienced people are more capable than the current government, have great track records and are well-liked and respected in their respective kawasan. They should be called back to serve, and hopefully guide the somewhat misguided government back to the right path.

3) Definitely not anyone who has been investigated and found guilty by the ACA. Why some of them were called up during the past election is beyond my comprehension. I mean, these people had nicknames and everything because of money politics, and yet, they are looked upon to be our leader? I can give you six million reasons why that is just wrong.

4) More corporate leaders. I'm not against veteran politicians and the like, but corporate leaders have better know how on how to run a smooth administration.

5) People who want to do the job well. It's probably a rarity now, and perhaps this optimism may change once they're in power, but if they got into politics for the right reasons, hopefully some of this idealism will stick.

That said, my ideal government probably won't become a reality, but it doesn't hurt to hope. And meanwhile, I will just wait for nomination day, thrust my thumb out during polling day for the wonderful new indelible ink to be applied and hope that I don't cross the wrong name.

Happy voting people!

No comments: