Tuesday 26 February 2008

And the GK* Award goes to.....(Warning! Political Post Ahead)

I am normally a semi-laidback person. Whatever issues I might have, I vent to people close to me (whether they want me to or not!). And this blog is supposed to be very impartial and to concentrate on cake.

However, some statements issued during this General Election have been ludicrous, to say the least. And I take great issue against a certain political party, which to me, has only one agenda: To turn Malaysia into a dictatorship run by a certain "wronged" person.

I don't deny that the present government has many flaws, and much more that needs to be delivered. And I don't deny that I long for the days when Tun Mahathir was still the PM, and whoever the next PM is going to be, would still have Tun's shadow hovering over him possibly until time immemorial.

However, when a certain "leader" suggests that his wife, his clearly inexperienced offspring, as well as a loyal supporter to run for seats as PROXIES for his "political comeback", that is way worse than whatever promises the government has failed to deliver. At the rate he's going, would it be wrong to assume that any seats won by his party would eventually be HIS seats once he is eligible? Am I the only one who sees this as a potential dictatorship? I mean, if his party wins (which at this point I hope to God it doesn't!), would Malaysia be then called A****sia?

It's bad enough that the way his party works is by sending supposedly potentially "influential" people to contest seats for the sole reason of contesting against the ruling coalition's candidates, without caring whether or not these "ideal" candidates even know where that particular area is. Plus they're fielding young candidates, who, I believe, may not even have known how to run for their school elections, much less the country's election.

I am miffed. I am angry and disappointed that qualities which we abhor in our culture are visibly apparent in this election. Again, I don't deny that all the parties contesting have some sort of flaw I have issues with. However, for this party to blatantly flaunt these qualities, and try to reason them with hopes of a better government, makes me sick to the stomach.

That said:

I hope voters will use reason and logic when making their decision on 8th March.
I hope voters won't use emotional sentiments plied by certain parties to influence their decision.
I hope that whoever wins the election realises that they are there because we put them there, thus they are then answerable to us.
I hope that the candidates and their supporters fight fair and square.
I hope people understand that these thoughts are all mine, and mine alone.
I hope to no longer write politically influenced blogs.
I hope that these next 11 days go by like the wind.

*GK = Gila Kuasa (Power-Mad)

No comments: