Friday 1 February 2008

Days of Flying Saucers & Nasi Lemak Pak Ya

I recently browsed my friend, Idan's, blog (Frossonice) and he was rehashing memories of our MRSM Balik Pulau days. Coincidentally, my gals & I were also talking about the same stuff, although Idan's memories were way tamer than my gals!

Anyway..I spent the best years in my life in some form of hostels. It started with MRSM from 1989-1992, MARA College Banting from 1993-1995, then University of Hull, UK from 1995-1998. The friends I made in these places are those I can consider as lifelong friends, and indeed, if you look in my Facebook, about 90% are school friends (this includes my SRK Sri Petaling friends as well).

And unlike several other MRSM survivors, I totally LOVED my MRSM years. Being there since Form 2 made me more independent and adventurous than I would have been if I'd stayed at home.

For instance, I wouldn't have learned how to bathe in a river (citygirl since birth..woohoo!), run 10 laps at 3pm and a further 5 at 6pm during hockey season, stretch my bed linens over my bed so tight that a coin could bounce off of it without leaving a mark (OK.. I couldn't do it, but my friend Renny was THE master!) or learned how to hang my undergarments under other clothes to dry on the clothesline so that the boys who lived in the lower block wouldn't take them JUST FOR FUN.

Nor would I have learned how to sleep standing up while on the then Penang Yellow Bus to Georgetown, take a bus, ferry and train (all in one night) back to KL for the holidays, memorised nearly all 80's & 90's Malay rock songs by heart (to this day, OK?) or rode an Army tank, truck and camped out with my whole batch & some Army personnel after the SRP exams.

Nor would I have had the opportunity to eat food which I will never see outside of an MRSM, like ikan jaket (however, this gives me shudders to this day!), flying saucers (a wonderful concoction of sardines, baked beans & pancake-like batter), grilled corn-on-the-cob marinated in condensed milk and butter (YUM!!!!) or breakfast, lunch and dinners served in steel trays.

Nor would I have known the other 120 souls who registered with me at MRSM Balik Pulau on 7 January 1989 (For the record, my nombor maktab was the very cool 89098). Nor would I have realised I could actually memorise every single person's nombor maktab as well (don't think of me as a loser, but just someone with more time than necessary on her hands).

Nor would I have known that these 120 souls, as well as the others who joined us in Form 4 (
now mature 33 year olds with respectable jobs), upon meeting now, would immediately transform into giggly teenagers reminiscing about the good ol' days.

Nope.. these things I would have never learned, had I not gone to MRSM. I may have had different memories had that been the case, but right now, I would not trade these memories with anything in the world.

"Kau umpama bunga yang mekar di hatiku..
Ku harap kau mekarlah selama-lamanya..
Kau umpama bintang menyinari hidupku..
Ku harap kau terus bersinar..
"

-Cintamu Mekar di Hati-MAY
(Told you I can still hafal the lyrics!!!)


2 comments:

Leen AshBurn said...

OMG You remembered Las Vagas! Was that where we ordered the rogan josh? I love the rogan josh *yums*

Ema said...

I don't remember the rogan josh but Las Vagas food..GOOD!!! My fave was the chicken tikka kebab and the Las Vagas burger with the pineapple in it. Thanks for making me hungry now!